Sunday, March 12, 2006

 

Life near the equator

This may seem obvious to those of you who are more geographically adept, but on Friday I realized that when you live close to the equator, the days are about the same length all year long. I found this kind of neat. So that means that in Dar, the sun rises at around 6:30 AM and sets at around 7:00 PM every day. I have also learned that between those hours the sun is FIERCE. At least this time of year. I spent much of yesterday walking all around Dar, and am currently sporting the watch and farmer tans (rather, burns) to prove it. Also 3 mosquito bites, which of course I'm sure means I'm about to come down with a raging case of malaria, but hopefully that will not be the case!

There is much more to report, but I'm afraid I'm out of time, so I will just leave you with these profound insights for now. Tomorrow is my first day of work (which starts promptly at 8 AM!!!) so I'm sure I'll have much to add after that.

Oh, finally, I got a Tanzanian cell phone, so shoot me an e-mail if you would like to get my number. I'd post it, but you never know with those pesky telemarketers...

Comments:
It's weird, you're entitled to think so. I'm glad you like it, but you never really get used to it. Just wait until you've been there six months and you can't even name what season it is at home!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?