Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

My first foray into the blogosphere

Approximately 20 hours til departure... Rather than do something sensible like, oh, you know, finish packing, I thought I'd finally get started with this blog that I've been talking so much about. So, allow me to share my vision for Dar es Salaam Diary (note: I am accepting suggestions for a snappier title, but that's all I've got for now). I'm heading off to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for the next two years of my life, and this blog will be an attempt to chronicle my adventures -- hopefully not a completely narcissistic exercise. I will do my best to inform and entertain.

Thursday, February 22nd was my last day at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, where I was employed as a research assistant in the Budget and Tax Policy Division. Through CBPP's International Budget Project I got hooked up with a Tanzanian NGO called Haki Elimu , where I will be working for the next two years. Haki Elimu's main focus is education policy, but they are looking to expand into more general analysis of Tanzania's budget, a goal which I will be helping to further.

I'll get to Dar on Friday morning, where I will be greeted at the airport by someone from Haki Elimu, and then I'll head to my Dutch guest house (as far as I understand, a guesthouse is a step up from a hostel but a step below a hotel...) where I'll be staying for my first 10 days in Dar. Then on March 20th I'm off to language school for 3 weeks at the MS Training Centre for Development Co-operation (a.k.a. Swahili Summer Camp). When I return to Dar I'll move into more permanent housing, which I hope to secure during my first 10 days.

The best way to get in touch with me at this point is probably via e-mail. (ruthcarlitz_at_gmail.com) I plan to get a cell phone when I get to Dar, and also learn how to use the Skype account that I set up a couple of days ago. (My account name is ruthcarlitz.)

OK, there's a suspiciously large amount of room left in one of my bags, which means I'm surely forgetting some important items. Kwa heri for now... next post from Tanzania!!

Comments:
Woo hoo! First post! I'm so excited for you. I wish you a safe journey across the ocean and look forward to even the completely narcissistic entries that may appear.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?