Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

Umevuka salama?

The literal translation of "Umevuka salama?" - a common question one is asked at the start of a new year - is "Did you cross over peacefully?" I like the concern and care the demonstrated by the question (Did you make it? Are you with us?) as opposed to the command implied in "Happy New Year!"

Well, I am pleased to report that I did arrive safely in 2007, even if I can't quite believe it. (I never really got used to 2006.) And what better way to cross over than on the beautiful island of Zanzibar.

My New Year's Eve was spent on the east coast of the magical island, at a small beach hotel in the village of Jambiani. I have been to the beach on the north coast (at a village called Kendwa) and it was incredible, but the east coast is equally, if not more, spectacular. The water is light turquoise color, dappled with darker patches where seaweed is growing on the ocean floor. Twice a day, the tide goes out so far one can't help but feel a bit abandoned, and wonder if it just might not come back.

The tidal patterns on the east coast make it less than ideal for swimming -- it is possible to go when the tide is in, but the water doesn't get any deeper than waist-high even after you've waded out for ages. Of course, one can go out further and faster by boat, and the snorkelling and diving are supposed to be fantastic. But this time around, I was perfectly content to lounge on the shore. Salama kabisa.

Comments:
Just FYI... I now have a link to you in my blog. I hope that's OK.

Hally
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?