Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

Sexual Harassment

"A woman willing to go to Tanzania 'needs to be strong, independent and willing to take a lot of harassment.'"

The above quote is from an article in The Minnesota Daily, the student newspaper of the University of Minnesota. In the article, which has been circulating among my friends here in Dar, a female student describes her rather harrowing experience studying abroad at the University of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. She describes rape attempts, catcalls, and assaults, as well as a general lack of support (and in some cases further harassment) from University officials here.

I found this article highly upsetting. First off, the experiences described are extremely unpleasant, and my heart goes out to this young woman. But at the same time, I was more upset by the implications of this (rather shoddily written) article - that sexual harassment in Tanzania is the norm. There's a somewhat more balanced account of the incidents here (from InsideHigherEd.com) but to a great extent, the same message comes across. As one of the comments on the latter article puts it, "Kind of makes you wonder what our Tanzanian sisters are putting up with on a daily basis. Sobering."

I don't know. I have certainly received more unwanted attention in this country than I did back home. Part of that simply comes from being a white person, and thus, something of a novelty. And since there is not the same sort of Political Correctness filter here, it's not uncommon for people to vocalize the fact that they think foreigners look different and weird.

OK, I have also been proposed to and propositioned multiple times over the past year - on the daladala, in taxis, and via text messages. Most of the time, I have just been able to make a joke of it ("I think you're a little old for me" to the 50-something taxi driver who parks outside of my office, after he explained that he could take me as his second wife since he's Muslim.) There have been a few instances that made me truly uncomfortable, and those were harder to deal with. I basically tried to deflect the more inappropriate advances and also show that I thought the behavior was not acceptable.

Anyway, one thing that upset me about these articles was the way in which they took one woman's experience and generalized it to the whole country, so I don't want to do the same thing with my experiences. But... what the hell, I will make a few generalizations (with the excuse that this is a blog and not a newspaper and therefore journalistic ethics do not apply) based on what I've seen and heard.

As far as I can tell, Tanzania does not have a culture of machismo. That is to say, while I've been propositioned by strangers, I doubt most Tanzanian women have. Sex is not so out in the open here. Men and women often do not even dance together, especially not in the same bump-and-grind style that is so popular in the States. However, it is probably safe to say that "traditional" Tanzanian culture puts men above women, at least in terms of the respect and authority that they command. This leads to certain assumptions about rape and baffling policies like the one that prohibits pregnant schoolgirls from attending their classes, while doing nothing to reprimand the boys who knocked them up.

But I digress. Getting back to the quote that I started this post with, I don't think that any (American) woman coming to Tanzania should necessarily expect "a lot of harassment." Unwanted attention, perhaps. More to the point, she will have to deal with certain stereotypes about American culture (and thus, American women) that are perpetuated by movies, television shows, and images in advertising that come from the West.

I'm not trying to excuse sexual harassment in this country, but rather to understand it. Living abroad, I find that I must constantly walk a fine line between respecting the culture of my new home, and staying true to my own values - that is, respecting myself. And choosing my battles.

In light of all of this, I'm excited for next Saturday, when I will be attending a Tanzanian production of The Vagina Monologues. (Apparently it was a huge hit last year - among Tanzanians as well as ex-pats.)

Comments:
girl I totally read that and thought about you, and wanted to know what you would have thought about it. it sounds similar to panama stuff, in many ways. on the one hand, the rampant overgeneralization of an entire nation and culture sounds totally suspect, but then again, one wouldn't want to be like the white college dude in the article either- so awful and dismissive and uncomplex. i mean really. okay i miss you, bye.
 
ah this american girl who complains of sexual harrasment might have actually got indulged in partying, and enjoying herself in Tanzania. She might have been taken away by the high purchasing power of the US dollar here. I think she is just trying to blame her failure in academics on something else.

Poor her! She's insulting Tanzanian men as a type that drools on white chicks, which is quite untrue.

//Fred
 
I found the Minnesota Daily article about Rachel Jamison very bias and disgraceful to my country Tanzania and its people. I'm very touched by her story if what she said rely happen to her. As a former graduate of the University of Dar es Salaam and some one who happen to be studying in US at present. I would like to ask her a question "Many foreign female students have previous graduated from that University without any incidence, Why all of those things happen to her in such a short time (one year)??? Were all of them coincidence or some things she did triggers them to happen??
This is what I would like to say to any one who happen to read her story. "In any country or society there are bad people, good people and some in between. Individual incidence should not be used to judge the state of a country or society in any issue". So for any one who will judge the people of Tanzania based on Rachel story without having all the evidence, they will be condemned for been bias as Minnesota Daily student news paper.
Ruth Carlitz, I also believe that for you been a US citizen living in Tanzania you have an opportunity to educate US students who visit Tanzania. You do not need to score some points by supporting this allegation through adding in your blog, stories like the one of a tax driver. I believe your better educated to be accepted to work with HakiElimu you should knows better than many of those tax drivers and others.
Sincerely, Simon Lauwo. (Kansas State University student).
 
I fell very offended by your story, perhaps I’m so encouraged by Lau who comment so clearly on that. You should understand there are bad people and good people in any country. Yes off cause those incidence can happen and things like people wanting you! Can’t you feel proud of yourself that you are beautiful! As make a people being interested with you!! Anyway that was very personal things you shouldn’t put on your blog I suppose, You tell them that you’re not interested with them that’s all!!!
Also I may add, you should try to give a solutions/way how to be instead of blaming those people. Its open that Tanzania its very young and developing country kind of primitive culture we may still have I believe (we have to accept that as Tanzanians, and work hard to get it in the track) in some years ago your country was as Tanzania in term of some of culture. I have a lot of things to educate you girl in these kinds of issues, Just I don’t trust my English, I wish I could read this blog while Im home and find where are you and discus this in details.

Mussa
Freelance Artist & Graphic Designer
Dar es Salaam
 
sorry my email is amanilove12@hotmail.com
Mussa
 
I have one question. My little sister is marrying a TZ man who is 6 years older than her. He is mean, controlling, verbally abusive, and is isolating her from our family. Only from my experience can I say that...what the hell. Why does he think he is superior to her, because he has a penis and she doesn’t? They met at work and the second week they met he said that "GOD" told him that they were supposed to marry. She believed him and 6 months later they will marry. She is so vulnerable and trusting that she has no idea how CRAZY he is. So if you are TZ then tell me why does he treat her that way, and is that just part of his culture? I want the truth, because he is not the only one, every one of his friends and family here are the same way.
moejoe11303@yahoo.com
 
Hello,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]daressalaamdiary.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Scientific Research points that about 60% of all U.S. grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.
 
I didnt read the original story, but I kinda get the idea of what happened. First of all, a student from the states knows better about all the crimes that happens on campuses (shootings, rapes, ..you name it); cos they happen, despite the high level of security that they have, as compared to a country like TZ ( Tanzania). These are bad things to happen to anybody; foreign or domestic, and they can happen to anybody. And in case of these events, there should be a standardazed way of dealing with'em, no bias, no favors, no special treatment, nada. Most important, these things happens everywhere in the world, learn about where you are goin before you go; one shouldnt expect US level of security on campus in TZ, TZ is a poor coyntry. Knowing also that despite the level of security that they have in US, they have more cases of these events than Tz. Therefore, all precautions that are given in the US to reduce chances of these events to happen, also apply in Tz, and they should be taken. Plus, consult local people ( University staff) for additional information.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?